- Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska, 1972
- United States District Court of Nebraska, 1972
- United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1973
- United States Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, 1983
John M. Guthery
John M. Guthery
John is past president of the law firm and is currently Of Counsel.
John’s practice is concentrated in the areas of banking, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights in bankruptcy, corporate and business litigation, and general civil litigation.
John has handled various matters for several Nebraska national banks. John has been recognized in Best Lawyers of America™ in the practice areas of Banking and Finance Law; Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law; and Litigation – Banking and Finance. John has also been recognized by other peer review organizations including Martindale Hubbell Preeminent Attorney and by Super Lawyers.
John has been involved in the sale or purchase of several banks or bank holding companies in Nebraska. John’s commercial litigation has involved stockholder lawsuits involving several million dollars; obtaining a judgment in favor of a bank for fraud for over four million dollars; business litigation involving a dispute over cattle and seven million dollars of claims; and in representing creditors in a large grain elevator bankruptcy.
John is licensed in Nebraska and is a member of the Nebraska State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
John has been active in the local and State bar associations. He is past president of the Nebraska State Bar Association and has also served as a member of the Nebraska Bar Association’s Executive Council and its House of Delegates. He is past president of the Lincoln Bar Association, past president of the Nebraska Association of Bank Attorneys and past chair of the Nebraska Bar section of Bankruptcy Attorneys. John has served as chair of the United States District Court Federal Practice Committee.
- University of Nebraska, B.S. 1969
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D. 1972
- Past President, Nebraska State Bar Association (1998-1999)
- Past President, Lincoln Bar Association (1990-1991)
- Past President, Nebraska Association of Bank Attorneys
- Chair, United States District Court Federal Practice Committee
- Co-Chair, NSBA Community Coalition for Justice
- Past Chair, NSBA Bankruptcy Section
- Past Chair, NSBA Civil Practice and Procedure Committee
- Past Chair, NSBA Long-Range Planning Committee
- Past Chair, NSBA Public Relations Committee
- Past Chair, NSBA Ways, Means, and Planning Committee
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Nebraska State Bar Foundation
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Nebraska Continuing Legal
- Past Member, NSBA Budget and Audit Committee
- Past Member, United States Bankruptcy Court Rules Committee
- Counsel, Nebraska Independent Bankers Association